- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 dried chillies, soaked in hot water
- 2 large fresh red chillies
- 2cm fresh turmeric
- Splash of water, if needed
- 6 tiger prawns, peeled and deveined
- 3 ping pong eggplants (or ½ medium eggplant), cut into pieces
- 3 okra, sliced
- 2 whole lemongrass, bruised
- 4 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon tamarind soaked in 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk (5%, super light)
- 3g dried belacan, toasted and ground into powder
- Spring onion
- Bottom white bits
- To make the spice paste, blend the shallots, garlic, dried chillies and turmeric into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry the bruised lemongrass and curry leaves for half a minute.
- Add in the blended spice paste (3 tbsp) and continue to fry till it gets fragrant and the oil separates.
- Add coconut milk (5%) and liquid from soaked tamarind.
- Add the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes at a low simmer. If needed, add more water.
- Once vegetables have softened, add prawns to cook.
- Garnish and serve with rice.