- 1 can mackerel fillets, flaked
- 1 baby spinach, roughly chopped
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- ¾ tbsp mustard
- ½ tbsp dill, chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- 2 burger buns
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 slices cheese
- Sour cream mixed with fresh dill and pepper
- Sautée the onions in a small pan heated with some oil.
- Once fragrant and soft, add in the spinach and mix to wilt it. Turn of the heat and leave to cook.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients (except oil) along with the cooled onion and spinach mixture.
- Heat up the same pan you cooked the onion in, and add some oil as you shape your patties. With the amount of mixture, you should be able to form two well-sized mackerel patties.
- Place them in the heated pan and leave to cook for about 4-5 minutes until golden-brown. Once you're happy with the colour, flip the patty and leave to cook till it reaches the same colour all throughout. At this point, place a slice of cheese on the patty and let it melt from the residual heat.
- Assemble the burger with crisp lettuce, a slice of fresh tomato, and all of your favourite ingredients! Top off with some dill-sour cream.
Notes:These patties can be made ahead of time and stored in your freezer for that rainy-day meal!